Bug-Report für VTM 21 and 22

All about the program
bluna

08 Nov 2022, 23:04

Win10x64
VTM 21 or VTM 22

Environment
Skip Video file if all required pictures exist on the disk (the content is nor checked)

BUG
Existing files will NOT be skipped but a new file will be created with the addition in the file name: (COPY_0001)
This does not happen in version 20 or before.
admin
Site Admin

09 Nov 2022, 09:29

There is a chance this not a bug, but feature.

With the new "Prevent collisions" feature in place,
when VTM calculates a filename for the next output, it checks the existing file - is it related to the output or not.
If not - then a new name is generated (with COPY_0001).

Could you please try to
1) turn the "Prevent collisions" checkbox OFF in the Environment window (VTM 22.0.0.0)?
2) turn the "Prevent collisions" checkbox ON, but use a completely new folder to output files, so each and every file will be generated with the latest version of VTM?
bluna

09 Nov 2022, 14:11

When I say "skip existing files", I don't want new files to be made anyway.
It wasted my time. Skip means skip.
admin
Site Admin

09 Nov 2022, 15:05

I am afraid It doesn't work like that as for now.
The logic is a bit more complicated.

VTM needs to know which file to check.
And when the "Prevent collisions" is ON, VTM for some reason calculates that the name should be with the "COPY_0001" and creates the file in spite of the fact that the file with the original filename exists on the disk.
If you are sure that the existing file was produced for the same video, then, probably, the screenlist was created with an really old version of VTM.
If not - then it might be a bug. That is why I asked you to check 2 scenarios in my previous post.

You can even run VTM for the 3rd time.
Will it create the "COPY_0002"?
Most likely no.

But still, a bug is possible.
Also, I can make the "Skip existing" settings to override the "Prevent collisions" setting, but still I am not sure is it necessary or not.
bluna

09 Nov 2022, 17:59

I will of course try out the scenarios and report back here.
DimsumDynamite

17 Feb 2023, 17:10

I agree with bluna. I upgraded and then got the shock of my life. I had dragged about 60 video files (each in their own folder) into VTM. About 28 videos already had a thumbnail sheet associated, so then I selected "Skip video file if ALL required pictures exist on the disk (the content is NOT checked!). I ran VTM and then when I went into each folder, there was a duplicate thumbnail sheet with "...COPY_0001.jpg" attached on the end. So now every folder has 2 thumbnail sheets. It was annoying because I had to manually delete each one individually which is a great pain.

I understand that "Prevent Collisions" is included for other situations, my question is why isn't it switched OFF by default? It should not be SELECTED/ON by default. I'm just glad I didn't drag a larger folder with many more videos because then I would have been angry to delete duplicates. Please have this switched OFF by default (new installs/upgrades) and let people who need to use it, enable it. Thanks!