Restore environment settings

All about the program
Saxtus

20 Nov 2021, 12:36

Hello,

I've recently had my Windows break beyond repeat and had to format and reinstall from scratch. I kept a backup of the hard disk before the format and although it can't boot, I have access to all the files.
I want to know how to restore the environment settings I had. Is there a specific file that I can restore from the old drive or lost in the old Windows registry? (why programmers still use the registry to store settings?!)

Thank you!

P.S. I know that I am in "Video Thumbnails Maker" section, but I have the same issue with Videonizer lost settings. If the reply can't cover both, I will open a thread at the appropriate section too.
admin
Site Admin

20 Nov 2021, 13:36

Hello,

The Environment settings are stored under the following Windows registry branches:

VTM:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SUU Design\Video Thumbnails Maker\Settings

Videonizer:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SUU Design\Videonizer\Settings

PTM:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SUU Design\Pictures Thumbnails Maker\Settings

Please note:
Previously (in older versions of the apps) the final folder was named "Environment", not "Settings".
Saxtus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 12:36
(why programmers still use the registry to store settings?!)
Because that is the right way to store settings in Windows ;)
Saxtus

21 Nov 2021, 10:38

I've used MiTeC's Windows Registry Recover to export the relevant keys to .reg format, but instead of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE", it exported them as "\ROOT\SOFTWARE", so I had first to run a search and replace to the exported .reg file. After that, keys got imported to the correct places, and it worked. Thank you!
Sheila

24 Nov 2021, 12:31

I'm taking advantage of this thread to ask something correlated.

I am on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 PC and I see duplicate entries in the installation folder and in %appdata% (see screenshot below):
1. Internet folder is 0 bytes on both sides and I wonder what is it for.
2. Logs folder, same as above
3. Options folder, the one in the installation folder is the most updated (it contains what is in the %appdata% folder plus some custom settings)
4. Settings folder is 0 bytes on both sides
5. Diag.log, the one in %appdata% seems to be the most recent log

Video Thumbnail Maker is 32 bit version.
In short I wonder if I can delete some of these files/folder without messing up VTM installation.
admin
Site Admin

24 Nov 2021, 12:47

Sheila wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 12:31
I'm taking advantage of this thread to ask something correlated.

I am on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 PC and I see duplicate entries in the installation folder and in %appdata% (see screenshot below):
1. Internet folder is 0 bytes on both sides and I wonder what is it for.
2. Logs folder, same as above
3. Options folder, the one in the installation folder is the most updated (it contains what is in the %appdata% folder plus some custom settings)
4. Settings folder is 0 bytes on both sides
5. Diag.log, the one in %appdata% seems to be the most recent log

Video Thumbnail Maker is 32 bit version.
In short I wonder if I can delete some of these files/folder without messing up VTM installation.
That is because VTM since version 16.0.0.0 stores all working files outside of the installation directory. These are log files and 4 folders: Logs, Options, Settings and Internet.
You can delete them from the installation directory freely.

BTW, you can use VTM uninstaller of previous versions to do the job.
Sheila

24 Nov 2021, 14:36

Done.
Thank you