[Request] Faster Skip Detection/Better Blank Frame Detection

All about the program
jgjake2

16 Jul 2020, 17:59

Would it be possible to improve the speed at which VTM detects and skips existing videos/thumbnails? Depending on the engine, it can range from slow to DAMN slow. Im dealing with 20,000+ videos (Over 20 TB), so even a little boost in speed would be appreciated.

I use VTM to detect the existence of duplicate videos. That might sound silly, but I promise you it is a fantastic way for me to save space when I download a duplicate video, but it's a different size/resolution. I just generate thumbs for all my existing videos and run it through something like "Duplicate Cleaner Pro" which can detect "similar" images (partial matches to compensate for the slight differences due to compression and time dilation). Then I go through and choose which version I want to keep. I wrote a program that cleans/removes the thumbs once the matching video is deleted/moved.

All this works great! But the slowest part is VTM chugging through the files with existing thumbs.

Also, would it be possible to expand on the blank frame detection feature? Even with this feature enabled, I still end up with a lot of blank frames. Maybe add a threshold that determines what is considered a blank/solid color frame?

Anyway, I love the program and I appreciate all the hard work you have put into it.
admin
Site Admin

17 Jul 2020, 10:20

Thank you for the request.
I will check the code for skipping existing files.

Regarding the blank frame detection feature - probably a threshold is a good solution.
Need to analyze.
matrixman1013

18 Jul 2020, 00:55

Just became licensed user and also interested in blank frame detection as I am noticing at least 1 to 2 frames on 60% of my video thumbs for TV show episodes being all black blank frame.

I was using the open source "thumbnail me" program prior and noticed they implemented in code a threshold setting as well for blank frame detection which they call blank frame skip and at 80% seems to work well. They also have some setting called edge detection also.

I think this would be very valuable feature. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

18 Jul 2020, 16:01

matrixman1013 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 00:55
Just became licensed user and also interested in blank frame detection as I am noticing at least 1 to 2 frames on 60% of my video thumbs for TV show episodes being all black blank frame.

I think this would be very valuable feature. Thanks.
It is called "Try substituting for any color frames".

You can find it in Options (F2) -> Advanced Timeline Control.
At the bottom of the window.