Recommended procedure for moving video files to new location

All about the program
Shark

09 Dec 2015, 10:08

I would like to move about 800 video files from a local hard drive to a NAS. Please recommend the procedure for bulk re-indexing all files in the new location. I can see how to change each database entry individually, but not how to change the file path as a bulk operation. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

11 Dec 2015, 19:42

Hello.
Currently there is no bulk procedure to do that.
The main idea was to "add and forgot".

I can add your request to wishlist.
Shark

12 Dec 2015, 02:02

Yes, please add the ability to bulk re-index in a new location to the product wish list.
Is there are work around with the existing design? For example, can I open the database file in Microsoft Access and do a FIND and REPLACE on the file path?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

07 Jan 2016, 15:02

You can try tools for SQL Lite databases.
Orthos

02 Nov 2016, 13:48

I searched this forum to find a quick way to change the paths of several files. I´d like to see this feature, too. :)

Thank you,
Orthos
marsthechemist

08 Aug 2017, 18:33

I suggest the following solution:

Get a database editor that supports SQL Lite. I'm using the "SQLite Manager" add-on for Firefox, but there are other applications like SQLiteSpy.
Load your Videonizer database and execute the following SQL statements:

UPDATE item SET path = REPLACE(path, '<oldpath>', '<newpath>');
UPDATE photo SET path = REPLACE(path, '<oldpath>', '<newpath>');
UPDATE screenlist SET path = REPLACE(path, '<oldpath>', '<newpath>');
UPDATE screenshot SET path = REPLACE(path, '<oldpath>', '<newpath>');

Set <oldpath> and <newpath> accordingly, e.g. UPDATE item SET path = REPLACE(path, 'T:\Clips', 'D:\Data\Clips');
admin
Site Admin

16 Apr 2018, 22:06

Videonizer 4.1.0.0 is released.
From now on you can manage files physically right in the program.
Shark

10 Sep 2018, 09:29

Thanks for adding the move feature. It should make it easier to manage video files from within Videonizer.

I finally figured out how to change the path of multiple files using an SQLite shell. I used "DB Browser for SQLite".
The syntax for this shell is slightly different than the command-line statements that marsthechemist so graciously posted above.

Using the "item" field as an example, enter the follow lines in the "Execute SQL" window:

UPDATE
item
SET
path = REPLACE(path, '<oldpath>', '<newpath>')

Then I changed the field name in line 2 from item to: photo, screenlist and finally screenshot and executed the commands again. It is a 4 step process.

That worked! Videonizer now points to all video files in their new location.

Thanks for the help.
AlexHK

13 May 2021, 21:18

I am very new to Videonizer and came across this thread to see how we have to handle the software without breaking things.

Unfortunately I expected it to be a bit more dynamic. Say I delete a file in explorer, I expected it to just disappear in Videonizer. Or if I move it, it disappears from the old location/path and shows up at the new one on the next scan. Or if thumbnails are deleted, I would expect that they would just be recreated on the next run along with the other ones.

Maybe I am spoiled from other pieces of software (Plex?). Also Video Hub App handles it this way, which I tested for a few days before moving on to Videonizer.

-- // --

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to create a unique identifier when a file is seen for the very first time and keep this ID with the other data for the added movie. This ID could be the checksum of the file, or a combination of checksum and filename, size etc.

Now if the file/checksum shows up at another scanned location/path, Videonizer knows that the file is either a duplicate or that the file was moved, which is easy to confirm.

Videonizer could then either silently update the records to reflect the new path and do some other homework (ie. are images still present?), or confirm with the user.
admin
Site Admin

18 May 2021, 09:07

@AlexHK
Thank you for your post.

Videonizer provides the following set of ideas:
1) You can Move/Delete any files/folders right in Videonizer.
2) You can use the "DB Tools" -> "Clean up current databases" to remove broken links and Items.
3) You can use the "DB Tools" -> "Scan for Screenlists" feature to pick up screenlists from default locations.
4) You can use the "DB Tools" -> "Scan for Screenlists in a Folder" to pick up screenlists from specified folder and attach them to Items automatically.
5) You can use the "DB Tools" -> "Scan Folders" feature to rescan your list of folders for new artifacts.

Calculation and keeping of checksums for screenlists and photos is time-consuming.
Did not want to implement it for speed considerations.
Probably, I can add it as an option and perform as a background task with a lower priority.