Thumbnails caching

All about the program
Ozelui

28 Jan 2020, 14:26

Hello!

In all modes showing tiles Videonizer caches them in the current page. Let's say I have 5 pages of items. Then it caches the first page of tiles to provide a fast way to see the content. Well. If I change to page 2, then Videonizer starts the caching process for that page 2. So, I understand the event that fires the caching process is the first visit to the page, isn't it?, but page by page.

My suggestion is: could it be possible to cache the entire collection instead of having to navigate pager by page? It may be a selectable option, since there would be users that don't need to have fast access always to the entire collection, but other users, like me, prefer to be able to go to any of the pages with fast access in every moment.

So, sumarizing: I suggest Videonizer starts caching the entire tiles collection in background (not only the current page) as soon as it starts (it does not apply Classic Lineral View).

Thank you for your support!
admin
Site Admin

28 Jan 2020, 19:13

Hello,

I understood your request, It could be implemented as an option.
Can't promise I will implement it for sure.

Please note: caching is performed only once. If no changes occured - cache is used.
But I agree with you, a silent background caching would be more pleasant in certain situations.

Thank you for your request. I will definitely try to implement silent caching for the rest of pages.
avi111

03 Apr 2020, 11:53

I don't know if it is possible but

It seems to me that cashing should be made to ALL videos in all tile sizes regardless of search operation.
the search will just show them (this is a separate and new DB management).
- cash picture is create in special center location (fast storage like SSD, My movies collection is on NAS with slow connection for cashing)
- change in main picture for a tile replace the cashed picture.
- on adding (deleting) new video a cashed picture is added (deleted) to DB

can this be dune?
if yes then this will skip these rebuilds all the time.

now on every search/page I have to wait.
admin
Site Admin

03 Apr 2020, 13:46

The current caching is good from my point of view.

It caches an item after the first displaying on a page.
You do not have to wait for caching, just work as usual and caching will speed things up.

Another question is that it does not cache items from other pages in background when possible.

There is no quick solution, it was not designed to support that feature and it is hard to change it at the moment.

I will try to invent something. Can't promise I will implement it.
now on every search/page I have to wait.
But only once.
avi111

04 Apr 2020, 06:50

OK
I understand.
sins SSD space is low
in order for cashing to be fast
Can you give an option to save the files needed for cashing (main tile ...) in separate (SSD) location?
what files are loaded to the cash (main tile and what else?)?
can you set the files needed for cashing to be the main tile only?
If I know what they are I will move them to a fast storage location.

By the way I am using the search function a lot and moving between pages so this is not one time action at all.
admin
Site Admin

04 Apr 2020, 08:20

Usually C disk is a SSD disk.

Currently you can not select cache file locaton and it is placed to user's AppData folder on disk C.
Only main tiles are stored in cache file (both - automatically or manually selected).

And once again - caching is a one time action. Each item is cached only once until no changes occured to that item.
You should notice the increased speed of loading. Let's say, you have 5 pages and the smallest tile view selected. Click on page 2, let it load for 2-3 seconds then click on page 4 and let it load for 2-3 seconds. After that you will notice that switching between pages loads cached tiles much faster than non-cached.

As an option, I can try to let to specify cache file folder in Settings.
avi111

04 Apr 2020, 08:51

"Only main tiles are stored in cache file "
then
If I store all this main tiles in SSD drive (how can I do that?)
do I still need the cash to speed things?
admin
Site Admin

04 Apr 2020, 19:20

I do not understand ;)

Just leave the caching enabled and forget about it ;)
No more action are needed at the moment.
avi111

05 Apr 2020, 10:23

ok thanks