[Feature request] Automatic determination how many thumbnails

All about the program
weinberg

01 Jun 2018, 11:52

Hi,

first of all let me say that i really like the Video Thumbnails Maker. It saved me a lot of time and work.

It would be great if there were a feature that analyses the video length and selects automatically a proper (user defined) number of thumbnails to create for this specific video file. For example:
video length 21min to 27min = 64 thumbnails with 8x8 matrix
video length 27min to 33min = 81 thumbnails with 9x9 matrix
and so on...

Such a feature would save me a lot of time for my video archives.
admin
Site Admin

01 Jun 2018, 20:59

Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

You can partially achieve your goal by setting "Specific time" checkbox ON in Options and then setting the "Step" value in seconds.
In that case VTM will take into account the number of columns and will increase the number of rows according to the length of your video files.
weinberg

11 Jun 2018, 01:38

Thank you very much for your answer.

I'm aware of the "Specific time" checkbox. But this option is not always a perfect solution. There a two "problems".

First the screen area of the resulting picture is not being used optimally. There are almost always blank spaces in the last row. Waste of screen area.

Second I try to find a compromise between the size and the number of thumbnails for each individual video file. If its a short video I can set up a specific time of 15 seconds. If its a very long video I have to set up a specific time of at least 30 seconds otherwise the individual thumbnails are getting too small.

So it would be great to have a feature like described in my first post.