New feature: Reduce time step for intro/trailer

All about the program
NFL-Freak

14 Sep 2014, 17:17

Hello,

I'm a newby and would firstly like to thank Scorp for this excellent piece of software.
It's absolutely amazing and allows to view the content of all the videos I took during holiday travels without needing to open it.

Okay, here's my first feature suggestion:
Sometimes - of course - you are not watching self-made videos only, but movies and so on.
Most of it have intros and trailers. But these can't be caught sufficiently by standard time steps of 30 or 90 seconds or whatever else. But if you chose e.g. 5 seconds to catch the intro/trailer information, then you end in a file that is extremely big in height due to the thousands of captures during the entire movie.

So what if there was an option to choose catching the intro/trailer sections by different time steps for given specific times and choose the normal steps for the remainder of the film?

This would allow to use e.g. 5 seconds for the first 90 seconds, 10 seconds for the last 3 minutes, and 1:30 minutes for all in between.
That'll be great to see in one of the next versions.

Thanks for considering it.

See ya.
NFL-Freak
admin
Site Admin

17 Sep 2014, 15:04

Hello.

Currently you can skip particular intros and outros by going to Options window (F2 hotkey) and setting "Specific time" checkbox ON.
Then you need to set "Start, sec" and "End, sec" values.

For instance, your serial have 90 sec intro and 30 sec outro.

You can cut undesired parts by setting:
"Start, sec" = 90
"End, sec" = Your serial length - 30 sec
"Step, sec" value should be set to desired time step for the rest of the movie.

Once, you catch the idea, you can "place" Start and End values into Inrto and Outro to catch frames from them too (if you need it).
NFL-Freak

17 Sep 2014, 20:16

Hi,

thanks for the reply. But I fear you haven't got me (or I haven't understood your reply :oops: ).

I DON'T want to cut intro and trailers.
In fact, I WANT to have them in the screenshots, but I would like to choose a much smaller time step for intro/trailer than for the rest of the movie. I just want to recognize if there ARE any and WHAT kind of intros/trailers are within the video.

That's the reason why I'm asking for that feature.

Thanks for considering.
NFL-Freak
admin
Site Admin

17 Sep 2014, 21:32

NFL-Freak wrote:I just want to recognize if there ARE any and WHAT kind of intros/trailers are within the video.
I'd say that is impossible.
I do not know any approach to detect intos/trailers automatically.
NFL-Freak

19 Sep 2014, 20:42

admin wrote:
NFL-Freak wrote:I just want to recognize if there ARE any and WHAT kind of intros/trailers are within the video.
I'd say that is impossible.
I do not know any approach to detect intos/trailers automatically.
Hi,

there's a big misunderstanding here. I try to explain it again.

I do not want VTM "telling" me there's an intro/trailer in a video prior to making the screenshots.
As you already mentioned, how should VTM know about it?

As I always shortly check a video prior to running VTM I would know if there was an intro/trailer to be considered for screen capturing.
Just in case there were some I would then run VTM with different time steps to catch these portions of the movie accordingly.
And when I later check all the captures with my preferred picture viewer I would like to recognize video A and video X contain intros/trailers.

To gain this I would use the first time step of e.g. 10 seconds for the first e.g. 90 seconds of play, then e.g. 1:30 minutes until 1:20:00 hours of play, and e.g. 30 seconds for the remainder of the film.

Example: Movie of 1:25:00 duration

Option 1:
Start: 0:00:00
End: 0:01:30
Step: 0:00:10 (= 10 seconds, this will produce the first 9 pictures)

Option 2:
Start: 0:01:30
End: 1:20:00 hours
Step: 0:01:30 (= 90 seconds, this will produce the next 52 pictures)

Option 3:
Start: 1:20:00 hours
End: 1:25:00 hours
Step: 0:00:30 (= 30 seconds, this will produce the last 10 pictures)

All together, 9 + 52 + 10 pictures will be shown in ONE capture of 71 pictures in total.

This would enable me and other users to either use one single uniform time step for the entire movie (as it is right now), or to use up to three different time steps for three different portions of the movie.
So the user - not VTM - decides with appropriate options whether or not there is an intro/trailer to be captured with smaller timesteps.

Hope this clarifies my request and you are becoming fond of it. ;)

NFL-Freak
admin
Site Admin

19 Sep 2014, 22:36

Thank you for detailed explanation.
Your idea is good and I could implement it, but I do not want to overload the interface.
VTM is designed for batch processing of video files with a lot of customization.
But that timeline feature can not be used for any video file processed. It can be used each time for specific video files.

I will keep in mind your request and will try to find an appropriate solution.
NFL-Freak

19 Sep 2014, 23:00

Thanks for your quick reply.

A compromise:
What if you did not overload the interface but only ask the user whether he wants the "Catch intro/trailer-"feature?

If he decides "yes", then you may catch the screens with 5 seconds each during the first three and the last three minutes. All these values would be fixed within your program code without optional changes by the user and would not overload the interface at all, except the check-box and a short description what would happen if that box was checked.

In between - or with check-box unchecked - the user could still choose whatever step he wanted.
This would provide at least some kind of preview information about intros/trailers in the capture and would help me a lot.
And I would not mind at all about too much pictures "wasted" for these 6 minutes, if there wasn't any intro/trailer or if it was much shorter than three minutes each.
I just need to know there are intros/trailers in there at all.

I think this would be an appropriate compromise without too much effort at your side?

Thanks for considering.
NFL-Freak
NFL-Freak

29 Nov 2014, 00:28

Hi admin,

I don't want to hurry you but two months have gone and I urgently would need this feature.
Have you had any chance to work on my compromise suggestion, dated SEP 19? May I'm allowed to ask if you could have a deeper look into it?

Thanks in advance for considering.
NFL-Freak
NFL-Freak

30 Apr 2016, 10:33

NFL-Freak wrote:A compromise:
What if you did not overload the interface but only ask the user whether he wants the "Catch intro/trailer-"feature?

If he decides "yes", then you may catch the screens with 5 seconds each during the first three and the last three minutes. All these values would be fixed within your program code without optional changes by the user and would not overload the interface at all, except the check-box and a short description what would happen if that box was checked.

In between - or with check-box unchecked - the user could still choose whatever step he wanted.
This would provide at least some kind of preview information about intros/trailers in the capture and would help me a lot.
And I would not mind at all about too much pictures "wasted" for these 6 minutes, if there wasn't any intro/trailer or if it was much shorter than three minutes each.
I just need to know there are intros/trailers in there at all.

I think this would be an appropriate compromise without too much effort at your side?
Hi admin,

I still work with 8.0.0.0 and haven't found any hint to my suggestion within the changelogs since then.
Could you have a look at it or is there really no chance to see it in one of the next versions?

I hope you don't mind me asking for this several times now.

Regards and have a good weekend.
NFL-Freak
admin
Site Admin

30 Apr 2016, 12:48

Hi NFL-Freak.

Thank you for keeping an eye on your request.
I really like your ideas and feel sorry, because I did not implement anything for you.

I must say your feature-request is present in my "to-do" list and I look throught it every time I create a plan for the next release.
I have to choose between options beacuse I am short of time and can not implement everything at once. New ideas, new requests.
Currently I am focused on animated screenlists features.

I am going to create a new release with more animation features and then I will have a closer look at your request.
Stay tuned and thank you!