ultimate engine speed problem

All about the program
avi111

23 Dec 2017, 07:59

Hi
I have silver VTM
my systen is win 10 64bit intel onboard hd graphic 530 32gb with ssd
testing the ultimate engin with webp 12 sections 1.5sec each an mp4 file size 1.24gb resolution 1080*1920
speed of screenlists
-----------------------
engine1 14.48 sec
ultimate 3.1 sec
speed for animation
-----------------------
engine1 33.91
ultimate 36.5 sec
while in screenlists the speed is faster
in animation it is even lower
what can i do to fix that
thanks
admin
Site Admin

23 Dec 2017, 11:31

There should be no difference in animation creation speed,
you can try to measure several times and the result should be around the same value.
gonzo_the_real

29 Dec 2017, 20:07

Hello, I also have a speed question:

I have an Intel Core I5-2400 (~6 years old now), 8 GB Ram and plenty of SSD disk space. Win10 64bit home edition.
My trial is on a 1280*720 wmv-file (520 MB) ~16 min length.

I am doing for each video
1. a classic JPG
2. a WebM file incl. animation (6 segments 2 sec each)

The jpg is finished in 4 seconds, the WebM w animation in 6 MINUTES.

I just noticed that VTM / Videonizer and background FFMPEG instance are running at 32 bit (only?).
They consume at best only ~30% of the available CPU power (see attachment).

Is this the right behaviour or is my PC just too old..?

Thanks
Attachments
videonizer_32bit.jpg
videonizer_32bit.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 16838 times
gonzo_the_real

29 Dec 2017, 20:21

PS: a WebP of the same file takes ~2 min, file is 4 times the size of the WebM (16 MB WebP vs. 4 MB WebM).
and it consumes only ~8% CPU?? Weird...
Attachments
VTM_32bit.jpg
VTM_32bit.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 16838 times
admin
Site Admin

01 Jan 2018, 11:21

@gonzo_the_real
Is there any difference with experimental "Use Multi-Threading when possible" checkbox ON in animation settings?
gonzo_the_real

02 Jan 2018, 00:27

Happy new year first of all, all the best to Yourself, family and friends :) !

Did a couple of tests today.
1. Tested with Multi-Threading on
-> VTM failed to make any WebM on the wmv-file, also not OK with any AVI etc.
Did not test to create WebP-files in this configuration yet.

2. Replaced ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe in Videonizer and VTM Program-folder with a 64bit versions I had. Then checked again with multithreading on.
-> Works like a charm!! Animation generation time down to 1-2 min!! The CPU usage increases significantly.
videonizer_64bit_multithreading on.jpg
videonizer_64bit_multithreading on.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
Some questions to VTM options:
- It is possible to switch on Multithreading in both, options and environment screen. But it seems to be saved only to the VTS file, correct?
- VTM remembers the multithreading checkbox setting regardless if You leave the option or environment screen with "Save" or "Cancel". Is this expected behaviour?
( it is clear that .VTM and .VTS files are created only by actually exporting them)
- I find it a bit strange that one can import .VTM files but not .VTS, is there a special reason for that?
- I have installed both VTM and Videonizer in C:\Program files. Now I realize that log files are not automatically saved there. evtl. because of lack of privileges. Do You have a workaround for this?

Finally: Would You recommend WebP rather than WebM?

Thanks in advance :D
admin
Site Admin

02 Jan 2018, 20:41

gonzo_the_real wrote:- It is possible to switch on Multithreading in both, options and environment screen. But it seems to be saved only to the VTS file, correct?
You can switch it on both windows, but currently MT setting can be saved only to VTS file.
gonzo_the_real wrote:- VTM remembers the multithreading checkbox setting regardless if You leave the option or environment screen with "Save" or "Cancel". Is this expected behaviour?
( it is clear that .VTM and .VTS files are created only by actually exporting them)
Yes, it works as designed. Looks strange, so I can change that behavior if annoying.
gonzo_the_real wrote:- I find it a bit strange that one can import .VTM files but not .VTS, is there a special reason for that?
VTS settings are supposed to be rarely changed. On the other hand, only one VTM instance is allowed to be run simultaneously and no VTS file can be specified in command line interface. I can add VTS import to VTM, if needed.
gonzo_the_real wrote:- I have installed both VTM and Videonizer in C:\Program files. Now I realize that log files are not automatically saved there. evtl. because of lack of privileges. Do You have a workaround for this?
Not yet. Try to install them to drive D:, or to path like
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Videonizer
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VTM
gonzo_the_real wrote:Finally: Would You recommend WebP rather than WebM?
WebP is preferable for Videonizer at the moment.
Please refer to picture below. I am going to add audio to WebM soon.