Can I disable "summary" files when generating "MultiFiles" ..?

All about the program
bastage

19 Dec 2017, 10:09

By default when you choose "MultiFiles for specific time step" it generates a large single file that includes all of the files generated, however for the most part I wind up not using them and wind up going through and deleting them later on.

Is there a way to disable VTM from generating them ..?

Side-question -- are they related to jobs failing when trying to use time steps like 1-second for longer video files ..? It seems like if I wanted to generate 1-second steps for any length file it should just keep generating multifiles until it's done (maybe hundreds) but while testing it seems there's a limit so to "capture" an entire movie requires multiples passes and then I "manually" rename and dump them all into one master folder when complete.
admin
Site Admin

19 Dec 2017, 22:34

I understood your request, I will add it to request list.

But please clarify your side-question.
As far as I understand, longer video files in your case fail for 1-sec step, right? Could you please check log file for error description?
I think 1 sec step is too small for long files and VTM just can not allocate memory to create such a big screenlist.
bastage

12 Jan 2018, 02:19

RE: the side question, yep, and I've done more testing and it looks like "in general" the limit is about 29-30 files in a "run" no matter what the time-step is although obviously you'd run into it faster with 1-sec steps.

For instance, I have a custom thumbnail sheet that has 25 frames on it, so to do a "capture" of a movie that's an hour long I wind up doing it in batches up 725 steps per run and then "stitch" them all together once everything is done.

Run 1: Steps 0 - 725
Run 2: Steps 725 - 1450
Run 3: Step 1450 - etc. etc.

.. and then when done rename the files in batch 2 to be multi.00030-0058, batch 3 to be 0059-etc etc

I have similar setups for 5-sec steps for longer movies and for runs where the number of frames are different and etc. (VTM is a really neat way to re-visualize movies I've seen many times before in new ways so I've had a lot of fun slicing and dicing the various thumbnail sets to see how things work.)

Anyway, the reason I have to do batches is because it seems once you get to around that 29-30 files limit the engine (all engines, both built-in and local) throw an error and I thought it might be related to the "summary" file since it seems like VTM should just be able to churn through a movie no matter how long and just keep generating multi.0001-mult.9999 until the file is done unless there's some other limitation.

As always thanks for you effort ..!
admin
Site Admin

15 Jan 2018, 22:04

Currently VTM creates that one big file and then slices it into pieces ;)
So that big picture limits the output.

Just to check - can I have a log of that error?
And what is written in Diag.log file itself? You can find the quick button to that file in the upper right corner of VTM.
bastage

15 Jan 2018, 23:47

ahh .. it all makes sense now ..! :lol:

I've worked up a number of Autohotkey scripts to help me churn through the batches of multifiles so it's not an urgent need but if you eventually add in support for wacky edge cases like 1-sec steps for "any" length I'd use the feature.

RE: the Diag.log, I've been doing 99% of my thumb generation via those Autohotkey scripts calling VTM command-line and for some reason I don't see Diag.log's being generated other than just saying VTM started.

Within the console window itself that runs it just throws a generic failure:

Code: Select all

Job is Started
Total: 1 file

File 1: D:\Video\longTestVideo.mp4
Ultimate engine failed , making an attempt to use Secondary engine
Crystal engine failed too

Summary: 0 Done, 1 Failed

Finished
Diag.log file is created in the program's folder
Press ENTER to close console
admin
Site Admin

16 Jan 2018, 20:36

You can find console logs in "Logs" folder (Diag_console.log file).
savimakwo

16 Feb 2018, 15:16

VTM just can not allocate memory to create such a big screenlist.