WebP Filetype "Image"

All about the program
skillR

11 Jun 2016, 15:48

I was wondering, now that we have WebP = Filetype "Image" .WEBP

How is it possible to get it displayed through regular file viewers (like internal Windows 10 viewers or file catalog software)?
Is there a chance this could (also) be handled like a regular .PNG file while still having the .WEBP features?
Like - after choosing how to open the file - it opens in a supported .WEBP viewer (internal SUU or others) with full .WEBP animations etc. or just as regular .PNG picture (all through a single file with let's say .PNG extension).

So I am asking the following:
I'd like to have a .PNG file (which is also a full .WEBP file) which should open like a regular .PNG image file.
If I open it with a supported .WEBP viewer (SUU or others) it shows the full .WEBP details (animations...).
fghsnc

15 Jun 2016, 10:18

Hi,

WebP is not supported by Windows (as of this post), so using the default viewer will not open it. It doesn't support many other format as well (e.g. GIF, PSD, etc). It pretty much does not support any newer type of images.

With regard to File Catalog, you just have to ask them to support it. Depending on who it is, they may never add it support.

No, PNG and WebP is two different format. You can make two files I suppose. You can want to consider using a more frequently update image viewers, e.g. Picture Thumbnails Viewer or Irfanview.