VTM FAQ

All about the program

VTM FAQ

Postby admin » 05 Jun 2014, 14:26

Please make sure you are using the latest version of the program!

Q. I am Silver/Gold/Platinum user but still getting splash screen thumbs in a random position in my generated .jpgs. Extreme engine is not available also. The program says registered.
A. Your Serial has been changed. Please send your registration details as well as your new Serial to my email. You will be answered with your new Activation Key ASAP.

Q. Is a help file available? There are several options that are less than intuitive.
A. Pop-up descriptions (tooltips) on mouse-hover are added to Video Thumbnails Maker since version 6.
Tooltip is a pop-up window that displays information for an element in the interface.

Q. Serial number is absent in activation window. How can I fix it?
A. Please make sure Windows WMI service (Winmgmt) is running. You can easily check it, following a tutorial article:
How to Start/Stop Windows Management Instrumentation service
or a Youtube video:
How To: Enable the WMI Monitoring Service in Windows
As a last resort, you can try stopping/starting the Winmgmt service, reboot Windows, run the program "As administrator", reinstall .NET Framework, remove any Windows tweaking software.
Please note, some virtual machines can also cause such a problem. Move to a regular PC in such a case.

Q. My anti-virus software blocked/removed/reported about trojan in VideoThumbnailsMaker.exe (or any other of your executables). Is it false positive?
A. All binaries downloaded from my site are 100% clean. Please make sure you are using the latest versions of my soft.
You can upload executables to https://www.virustotal.com/ to check them online by all popular anti-virus programs.

For instance, here is clean report for VTM version 8.0.0.1
https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/a923 ... /analysis/

The reason of that false positive reports could be in the fact I have obfuscated the code of the program and have protected it from attacks and reverse engineering.
As far as I understand, many of existent malwares could use similar approaches to hide its dangerous functions from anti-virus software.
In my case I just want to protect the code of my program.

Q. Where can i find more detailed log ?
A. You can find Diag.log file in the program's folder.

Q. Hi, the program fails to create thumbnails when there is a list of more than ~50/100/200/500 videos.
A. Please check "Memory econmy mode" option in Environment window (F3 hotkey).
Every time VTM creates a thumbnail sheet, it loads the picture into memory to be able to show the result fast for you.
To prevent that behaviour you need to set "Memory economy mode" checkbox ON.
The option is set ON by default in VTM version 6.

Q. How to Upgrade from an earlier version? Is it better to clean install or upgrade install?
A. The best way to upgrade the program is to use embedded upgrade feature and to install the program into the same folder.
Please refer to the screenshot below to locate "Upgrade" button.

The upgrade should not change your Serial, so you will be able to use your old Activation Key file.
Clean install is not recommended, but still possible (warning: your Options and Environment settings will be set to default values).
Also you can keep several versions of the program on the disk. But you will be able to run only one instance at a time.
Do not forget to keep Activation Key file in the program's folder.

Q. I am using Directory Opus and double-clicking the vtx always opens in DO's viewer instead of Video Thumbnails Viewer. How can I fix it?
A. Here is the answer from Directory Opus forum:
http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=24570
Check preferences -> file ops -> double click on files -> use internal picture viewer for [..]

You can maybe remove the *.vtx extension from the Images filetype group, so DO does not know this filetype anylonger. Alternatively lookup or create a new *.vtx filetype and edit the doubleclick event for that to open the PicThumbsViewer.

Q. The program fails to process avi/wmv/mp4/mkv/flv... files.
What should I do to fix the problem?

A. The best option is to use Ultimate (started from VTM version 8.0.0.0) and Crystal engines. They are using embedded codec system and do not rely on codecs installed on your computer. The speed of Crystal engine is average, the speed of Ultimate engine is very very fast. You can switch between engines in Environment window.
On the other hand, Engine 1 and Engine 2 use codecs from your computer system. In that case you need a good codec-pack to be installed on your PC. For instance, I would recommend to install CCCP codec-pack. In most cases that will be enough for Engines 1 and 2 to operate properly. A last resort is to check FFDShow settings of your codecs.

Step 1.
Open "CCCP Settings" in the Start->Programs menu.
Make sure FFDShow checkboxes are ON (something like shown on the screen below)

Click on Next button.

Step 2.
Click on Apply button.

Try to process your video in VTM.

If the problem still remains try to play with checkboxes in Haali Media Splitter section.

Then click on Apply button.

Q. How can I embed WebM videos to forum posts?
A. You can learn how to embed WebM video to forum posts here:
How to embed WebM to forums (phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, Simple Machines, MyBB, ...)
admin
Site Admin

Return to Video Thumbnails Maker