[FEATURE REQUEST] Next frame and next key frame

All about the program
DimsumDynamite

09 Sep 2018, 15:38

1. When we choose shots manually, rather than just offering us the speed 0.5x / 1x etc it would be useful if you could provide a play/pause button that allows us to advance one frame at a time. Also allowing us to jump to key frames in the scene. like what most video editing software allows. Sometimes we want a very precise thumbnail which we can't get from even the 0.5x speed. I would also like to request a 0.25x speed to be added.

2. Sometimes when I am trying to get a precise thumbnail in "choose shots manually", the cursor sometimes accidentally drifts from the "Snap" button over to the "Auto" button and then i click enter without noticing and before you know it, all my effort for precise thumbnails is lost as the program now auto generates the thumbnails again. For safety reasons, I would like to suggest that the "Auto" button be moved to the top, below the "Sort Timeline" button and for the thumbnail images to be shifted down. This way there is no way anybody will accidentally mess up their precise thumbnail position by clicking the auto button by mistake.
admin
Site Admin

29 Sep 2018, 10:38

Thank you for your request,
I will check what could be improved.
admin
Site Admin

11 Oct 2018, 23:55

Hi,
Will try to implement both your requests in the next version of VTM ;)
DimsumDynamite

13 Oct 2018, 00:48

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! With regards to my other post requesting .f4v support. I noticed a lot of other people had requested support for format x and format y. What none of us knew was that all these formats are already supported. We just didn't know where to look because we didn't know these formats/containers were "switched off" and that we had to select them in "Add files with the following extension". Now my question to you is - is there a reason that not all these formats are selected? Is there some negative impact to the software or to the persons PC if all these formats were ALL selected? I'm just wondering why all the formats aren't selected? I'm just thinking to make things easy for you so that in the future people don't keep asking and you don't have to keep repeating yourself, that maybe it's just better to have all the formats/containers selected by default so that nobody has to ask again? Might make your life a little easier ;)

P.S. One additional thing with "choose shots manually" - on the thumbnail page where all the speed buttons are shown "1x" "0.5x" etc - is it possible to make the buttons coloured (like green) when selected. Just a visual cue so we know like "ah "5x" is selected right now. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

13 Oct 2018, 10:50

There are 2 reasons:
1) The support of some of switched off formats is experimental, so if you want to give it a try on your PC, you can switch checkbox ON and check the result.
2) I am not familiar with some of checked OFF formats, so I can not guarantee that files will be processed successfully. Of course, in many cases they will be ok.

Anyhow, nowadays I know more and should revise the list of formats. Or, I will try to make that button just more noticable ;)

Regarding Choose shots manually.
I am working on a frame-by-frame version at the moment. I must admit it is not an easy task.
The selection will be very precise as expected, but it looks like I can leave only normal speed playback (1x), because currently I can not accelerate it more using my new approach. I can leave 0.5x speed as well ;). BTW do you really need 0.5x?
On the other hand, I will try to make interface a bit more handy.

Also I want to leave the old 'time-based' interface as a "Choose shots manually - 3" or something like that.
DimsumDynamite

15 Oct 2018, 01:18

So one program that I use for cutting video files is SolveigMM Video Splitter. I like how the transport buttons are laid out on this. I am hoping you could implement something similar. Just below the main screen the buttons are laid out so that you can easily skip each frame and each key frame (forward or backwards).

https://imgur.com/a/OhcFwPF

If you use a similar method to this then actually you do not need to implement any additional speeds for the video. We can move the marker close to the point where we want the screenshot and then click next frame/key frame to get to the precise frame we want. Even though the current version of VTM has so many different speed levels, I never used any speed apart from 0.5x - and that is only because that was the slowest speed we could use to try and capture the exact screenshot frame we are looking for. This is why I asked that a 0.25x would be even easier for us. However if you implement the system that I have shown in the screenshot then you don't need to make any speed choices. 1x will be fine because we can get the exact frame due to the new frame buttons you are hoping to implement. You already have the marker to move quickly to the point in the video we want, so different speeds would serve no purpose. The frame buttons will do the job.
admin
Site Admin

01 Nov 2018, 22:49

Your request is implemented in VTM 12 ;)

Here is a short demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-LvuqbZ3o
DimsumDynamite

02 Nov 2018, 13:30

Wow! That's brilliant! Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to trying it out :D