[Feature Request] Hotkeys

All about the program
chrome700

16 May 2020, 06:26

I'd like the ability to add ratings, genres, tags, etc, via customizable hotkeys. Ideally one could use the arrow keys to scroll between screenlists, and while on a given screen list be able to add info via keys and not have to use the mouse at all. Basicaly make it work like Lightroom, but for videos.

Also, it would be nice to be able to resize the main window.
admin
Site Admin

16 May 2020, 07:37

Please specify which hotkeys would you like to see in which windows.
Screenshots with context menus and hotkeys written will be perfect.
chrome700

16 May 2020, 22:08

admin wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:37
Please specify which hotkeys would you like to see in which windows.
Screenshots with context menus and hotkeys written will be perfect.
I think you're not quite getting where I'm going with this....

First, within the 'Edit Tags' dialog, add a subwindow for 'Hotkeys.' That window would have the first 6 letters of each row of the keyboard. So first row Q - Y, second row A - H, third row Z - N. So, one could have 18 tags mapped to hotkeys.

Second, within the 'Edit mode' once one has filtered to a collection of videos using existing tags, etc, one could enter a 'TAG mode', which would default to full sized screenlist. Under that mode, Keys 1-5 would add a rating, and any hotkey pressed would add that associated Tag. Left and Right arrow keys would move between screenlists. Added ratings and tags could be listed off to the side. Clicking on a frame in a screen list would start the video from there, as per usual.

Make sense?
chrome700

17 May 2020, 00:44

Referencing the response you gave in this post, I see where one can through screenlists in Edit or View mode.

If at the same time one could implement the hotkey functionality I discribed above, that would be pretty awesome, and a pretty significant time saver. In fact, it would make it about perfect for what I'm trying to do.
admin
Site Admin

17 May 2020, 09:34

Ok, I understood.
I will think how to improve it.

So, it is supposed that a user will keep in mind all that Tags<->Hotkeys layout.
chrome700

19 May 2020, 02:43

admin wrote:
Ok, I understood.
I will think how to improve it.

So, it is supposed that a user will keep in mind all that Tags<->Hotkeys layout.
I think if a user is able to customize the mapping of certain tags to whatever key he wants that really won't be an issue. Alternatively, maybe just have a list of defined hotkeys floating next to a screen list when full screened. Or, when one adds a tag via hotkey, that tag would just flash on the screen. Or both! The flash idea is probably the best for feedback back to the user.

As mentioned earlier, my goal is just to just to speed the process up. As best as I can tell, currently, to add tags to a video file takes double-clicking the file in the EDIT mode, then clicking another icon to get to a list of tags, then all the tags I want to add to a file, then 'OK' on that screen, 'OK' on the screen that brings me back to, then start over with the next file. Adding or changing a rating takes a few more mouse clicks.

With what I've suggested one could just do it with a few keystrokes, then arrow key to the next file, and keep going. It may be that most users don't use all available hotkeys, but have a faster way to to apply some broader tags that they could then sort by while adding other tags later.

When one is dealing with adding tens of thousands of video files, as I'm sure some users (like me) have, that's a HUGE time saver.
chrome700

19 May 2020, 04:04

admin wrote:
Thinking about this some more, what if on whatever screen we were doing this on, you just had a 3x6 grid on the bottom of the screen, and the tags mapped to each key were in that grid. Top row is Q - Y, second A-H, third Z - N. As each hotkey is pressed, that square in the grid would highlight, indicating it's been assigned to the selected file. Rating could be across the top, and 0 - 5 would select a rating. Arrow keys would move between screenlists.

Bonus: Holding ALT or CTRL would bring up a different layer of tags, so one could have 54 tags mapped to hotkeys.

admin
Site Admin

19 May 2020, 15:38

Videonizer 8.1.0.0 is released and you can edit Tags, Actors and Sites without entering the Item Editor.
chrome700

19 May 2020, 18:31

admin wrote:
Videonizer 8.1.0.0 is released and you can edit Tags, Actors and Sites without entering the Item Editor.
It's a start, but still a lot of mouse clicks.....

The ratings work great, but it would be nice if one could disable the confirmation box that comes up. Maybe an option in settings?

When I updated to 8.1, I realized that I was on version 6 before, so I see a few things that are helpful already. The animations from the VTX files are great. Don't know if you want new threads for these, but here you go:

- The ability to resize the main window by grabbing the edges or corner.
- In XL or 4K zoom levels, the ability to display an entire screenlist, instead of just one frame. Maybe just a checkbox next to the zoom levels on the main window? Maybe also a check box for enabling or disabling animations?
- A 5K zoom level above 4K, or just a slider for zoom? I have a 15" laptop with a 4K screen, and at the 4K zoom level the images still come up two wide. Edit: just read the thread on caching and thumbnail size. I don't need a larger thumbnail size, just a way to display the entire screenlist in a larger size.
- When navigating the main window with the arrow keys, the images should scroll with my selection. When I navigate up or down the window doesn't currently doesn't move when I navigate off the screen. Additionally, navigating with the arrow keys should trigger the animations, not just the mouse.

Also, it seems like tags are specific to categories?
calambra

19 May 2020, 19:08

admin wrote:
Thank you :D !! Great updates!!